Don’t throw those leafy beet tops away! Beet greens make fresh beets a two-in-one bargain because the leaves look, taste, and can be prepared like Swiss chard. Other greens to try in this recipe are Swiss chard, spinach, or flat-leafed kale.
Ingredients for Horseradish-Tangerine Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh tangerine juice
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
Ingredients for Beet Green Salad:
- 2 large beets, peeled and grated (4 cups)
- ½ cup chopped shallots, leeks or green onion
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups beet greens, tough stems trimmed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch peppercress, stems trimmed
- 2 tangerines, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup soaked, toasted and chopped pecans
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
To make Horseradish-Tangerine Dressing:
Whisk together olive oil, tangerine juice, cider vinegar, and horseradish in small bowl.
To make Beet Green Salad:
- Toss beets, shallots and dried cranberries with 1/3 cup Horseradish-Tangerine Dressing in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Toss beet greens and peppercress with remaining dressing in large bowl, and divide among serving plates.
- Top each serving with 1/2 cup grated beet mixture, and garnish with tangerine slices. Sprinkle with pecans and feta cheese, if desired.